[kj] OT: selling shit on eBay

culturevirus culturevirus at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 1 16:11:08 EST 2008

I heard on the news just the other day that eBay will be changing that policy. The new scheme would be no listing fees, but a slightly higher percentage of the final sale. Similar to Amazon. Check to be sure that I heard right and see when they implement the new pricing scheme.

I've sold a few things in the past and my only bad experience was my own naivete when it came to estimating shipping cost. I ended up stating a fixed shipping cost that would cover my expenses, but forgot to factor in overseas bidders. I ended up with little profit on that sale.

As a buyer I'd suggest that you keep the initial bid fairly low and let the market drive the price up. I generally pass on bidding on items with a high opening bid, even if it's a price I'd be willing to pay. Purely psychological I suppose, but you see it live auctions too. I'd also suggest keeping shipping charges at your cost. I know I don't like to see that the seller is obviously trying to make money off of that part of the sale. Put your "buyers" hat on and most of the things to do or not do will be obvious to you.

I am culturevirus

"A. Madani" <a.madani at anirrationaldomain.net> wrote: I'd do Amazon.com - the big problem with selling on eBay is that you have to
pay listing fees, regardless of whether your item sells or not - and a
commission when it sells. With Amazon, you only pay if an item sells so
it's less out of your pocket in the long run.

There's also musicstack.com, but I'm not sure how it works.

Hope that helps - good luck.