[kj] Killing Joke's career

The Exorcist killingjoke at theimmortalfool.com
Mon Dec 22 20:51:27 EST 2008

I was a latecomer to Extremeties and it took me a
while to get into it. After a few listens It's become a favorite of mine.
Patchwork or not, it's got some great songs in
there with some darn strong sentiment. You don't always have to be "mystical"
or hidden or (insert whatever term you want in
here) to be good. Sometimes brute force and simple spoken language do a
damned fine job.

On that note... being that Pandemonium was my
first KJ album, it will always be my #1 favorite
(Pleasures of the flesh, communion,
exorcism) are probably favorite songs on the album.

Cheers

At 10:49 AM 12/22/2008, GREG SLAWSON wrote:

>I agree that in some ways Extremities sounds

>patched together, although it's still a strong,

>unique album. It's one of thoes ones you have to

>be in the mood for. "Money" got some airplay in

>the US, but made me not like the song b/c I heard it too much.

>Pandemonium sounds a little dated, but I still

>think it's one of their best in terms of sound

>and songs...I usually hate metally stuff, but I

>love Georkie's chugging on that record!

>----------

>From: bq at soundgardener.co.nz

>To: gathering at misera.net

>Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 02:17:42 +1100

>Subject: Re: [kj] Killing Joke's career

>I agree that Pandy was a big leap, but there are

>a few Extremities fanz on the list. I’m not

>really one of them, sounds a bit patched

>together to me, only hits first gear, except for

>a couple of tracks

Termite Mound and Beautiful

>Dead. I don’t really ‘get’ the title track. Just

>my 2c worth. Perhaps I need to crank the fucker

>and give it a few more whirls

(while I’m on

>Circuit 5 or above.) Ade you’re a big fan innit?

>But Pandemonium leaves me with my jaw hanging

>open, even still. It’s a mystical and musical

>tour de force, half the point of mysticality is

>that everything is not explicit or

>logical

having said that, it has some of my

>favourite lyrics, clever, but not too clever,

>good points driven home well. Labyrinth is a

>song on a totally different level, Communion as

>well, Exorcism

I’m repeating myself. I can’t

>speak highly enough of Pandemonium. Pleasures of

>the Flesh has the most otherworldly feel &

>momentum to it. Jana totally sucked me in to the

>story within the song, the music and Jaz’s

>singing is plaintive, earnest & heartfelt.

>Honest. Black Moon was / is an early / still

>favourite

I think a fair bit of the depth of the

>lyrics is only apparent if you look a level or

>two deeper, bearing in mind mystical symbology.

>Jaz was well cast as the devil that Roc de

>Thingy movie, except they didn’t give him the

>chance to let loose the hellish side of his

>voice, I don’t think a mainstream audience could

>handle it quite honestly. And that is SO like

>something he’d say

haha ;) but seriously, I have

>heard better singers in terms of tone, pitch

>control, range, but in terms of sheer visceral

>gut-wrenching impact

there’s only a couple who

>really compete. And on this album he really let

>it loose for the first time in a long time.

>PS: none of the raw potency of the early days.

>Perhaps not album wide, but Exorcism? That

>song’d send Beelzebum back down to where he came

>from, it’s utterly unreal. Gimme the hardest

>most fucked up singer in your collection and

>I’ll play Exorcism for you and slay him in one

>go. And to some extent 2003 took it to another

>level again with Implant, Asteroid, Total

>Invasion

in terms of blunt force impact.

and at this rate,