[kj] Killing Joke's career

Darren Peace dpeace at bigfoot.com
Sat Dec 20 15:04:37 EST 2008

IŒm sure other people will chip in, but:

Nomeansno ­ Canadian 3/4 piece, occasionally hardcore, occasionally prog
jazz, occasionally grunge, occasionally the Ramones, particularly in their
Hanson Brothers incarnation. Recommended starting points : Wrong, 0+2=1,
Dance Of The Headless Bourgeoisie (although they¹ve not released a duff
album)

The Young Gods ­ Swiss industrial band with links to Treponem Pal. Starting
points : TV Eye (with the splendid Skinflowers & Gasoline Man), L¹Eau Rouge.

Shellac ­ Steve Albini¹s current project, after Big Black & Rapeman. Four
studio albums in, all absolute classics. I¹d start with At Action Park or
1000 Hurts.

Einstuerzende Neubauten ­ German industrial band, with Blixa Bargeld on
vocals and occasional guitar, who played with Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds for
many years. Albums of varying quality, but Ende Neu, Haus Der Luege & Halber
Mensch are all good starting points.

The God Machine ­ US alternative rock band, with a distinctly melancholic
sound. Like The Cure¹s Seventeen Seconds & Faith with tube screamers. Only
two albums, of which I¹d suggest One Last Laugh In A Place Of Dying.

Firewater ­ I¹ll let Alex elaborate if he sees fit, but Tod A¹s band post
Cop Shoot Cop. Tracks on individual albums veer wildly between Wedding
Present-style European folk music, industrial Doors epics and distorted
bass-heavy rock. Superb band; their Psychopharmacology is in my all-time top
ten, but Get Off the Cross, We Need the Wood for the Fire is close.

Tom Verlaine ­ Television¹s guitarist. Godlike genius, despite a really
whiny singing voice. Dreamtime, Words From The Front and Flashlight are all
representative.

John Cale ­ Bassist & viola player with the Velvet Underground. Really
varied solo albums, from off-kilter folk and classical to noise experiments.
I¹d go for Paris 1919, Fear, Music For A New Society or Black Acetate. His
eulogy for Andy Warhol, with Lou Reed (Songs For Drella) is great too. We¹ll
have to forgive his involvement with Alex¹s mum Patti¹s career, as she is
clearly a foul waste of oxygen.

Wire ­ fantastically ambitious punk / noise / electronic / experimental
group. If you¹ve not got at least four Wire albums in your collection you
don¹t know what you¹re missing. I¹d go for 154, The Ideal Copy and Object
47. Truly inspired stuff.

Having said all that, from your assessment of your tastes, I reckon you¹d
most like Porcupine Tree. They started as Steven Wilson¹s solo project, and
released some brilliant home studio psychedelic stuff (The Sky Moves
Sideways is a highlight). He then created a band to perform the stuff live
(including Richard Barbieri (ex-Japan) on keyboards), and has released a
host of quite brilliant albums since, ranging from prog, metal to pop. Their
breakthrough album was the metal-influenced In Absentia, although Lightbulb
Sun, Deadwing and Fear Of A Blank Planet are magnificent too. Wilson also
releases melancholia as No-Man, whose Schoolyard Ghosts was an album of this
year for me, but you¹ll probably need a liking for mid to late Talk Talk to
go for that, and he also records drone / ambient stuff as Bass Communion,
among others. Also, he¹s in Blackfield in collaboration with an Israeli pop
singer called Aviv Geffen, who have released 2 excellent pop albums. I
sometimes think that you could cover most musical bases just by collecting
the stuff Wilson releases.

Darren
Hungerford, UK