[kj] And Now for SOMETHING Completely the Same: Butthole Surfers

Change crackedmachine at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Aug 20 10:06:28 EDT 2008

Egad the man next to me is watching pussy sucking video so time to send this over I guess...

22

Butthole Surfers came back from the dead with both drummers and a New York school of rock kids to help 'em teach 'em what to think down in Florida. There were rumours that Gibby didn't have his shit together but I didn't give a damn. Was I gonna pass up the chance to experience one of the greatest mindfuckin' rock rides this side of Tau Ceti? Hell no! Ford Prefect got the entry for Earth in "The Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy" upgraded from "Harmless" to "Mostly Harmless" after going to a Butthole Surfers gig. Not a lot of people know that, because I just made it up.

So my freind from Preston who has not yet confessed to actually being from Betelgeuse (probably because he isn't) was asking me before the Manchester gig if I thought they'd play the John Peel Festive Fifty maxi-mega-hit that closes out that crazy "Locust Abortion Technicican" album and whaddya know? They only went and played it first. I don't think Gibby hollered on that one in Manchester but by the time they hit London Forum he'd got looser and loopier.

It was damn fine to pay witness to the full on film backdrop as I'd only seen 'em twice before at the Reading festival where they interrupted the intellectual book readings to let us all know about booze, tobacco, dope, pussy, guns... Even better was the tribal heaviness of the double drummer pummel, as Theresa had left the band by the first time I got to see 'em between "Hairway to Steven" and "Widowermaker."

Gibby made some passing comment about Morrissey because he was in Manchester, to witch I heckled "Magazine!" Synchronously, I ran into John Robb of Gold Blade outside the venue afterwards and he informed me that Magazine had reformed. I wasn't sure if he was pulling my leg but it seems to be true. Magnificent! He also opined that the second half of the gig was great but the first half was like a lot of sane people trying to remember how to be mad. We always disagree about something and I enjoyed the whole thing, even Gibby aborting "Florida" when he forgot that Sidney Poitier was a blind man and LBJ a Soviet Jew.

23