[kj] OT Boycott .the film Tropic Thunder

sade1 saulomar1 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 19 17:16:25 EDT 2008

blankwerks wroteth:

> You are supposed to be laughing at their ridiculous behaviour and

> that they ARE bigoted idiots** obsessed only with themselves,

  So I saw the movie yesterday morning, and it was a fun ride. I haven't been to
the movies in almost 2 years, but this one made me wanna go (cuz i'm a fan
of Stiller's work).

  Someone else mentioned "The Man Who Knew Too Little" and Tropic Thunder's
plot was similar, except it's in a war-movie setting. It spoofs film-making with plenty
of movie and film-industry references.

  By the time you see RoDo,Jr. and BeSti. profusely saying the words "retarded,"
"retard" and even "..going full retard,"etc.etc.you already know how far beyond-the-pale
these idiots** really are; the dialogue is only to further underline and highlight in neon-
yellow how unbelievably, unforgivingly moronic those self-serving, self-indulgent,
bigoted and obliviously self-absorbed these Hollywood "Industry" types really are.

It's called Satire. Protected under Federal law, even.

** see, "By the way, are there any..."
          [transcript starts paragraph 9]
    from back when the bigoted threat
    to people's lives was still palpable
                                    here in u.s.

  Anyone who finds this movie as an attack on the disabled either hasn't seen it,
or totally does not get the joke/satire and therefore cannot judge. THIS IS NOT
AT ALL like THE OBAMA COVER ON THE NEW YORKER Magazine. This film
provides you full context for the joke, and does so on a silver plate.

Also, i haven't seen any opponents to the film comment on how Ben Stiller ends up paying his Karmic debt for having denigrated the mentally challenged, how he ends up doing WHITEface theater playing a literally pasty-faced, dried up straw-haired character in a prison camp.

  Anyone finding this movie offensive to mentally challenged people will prolly find
Schindler's List anti-semitic because it shows Amon Goeth gleefully whacking jews
left and right..; will prolly find The Godfather racist towards blacks because the Mafia
dons talk about, "...keep the [heroin] traffic in the dark people, the colored. They're animals anyway so let them lose their souls...."

     Full Disclosure... i'd be for the protests, but if they had seen the film first!
Absolutely no harm in that.

[looking at the current state of things]

'Save me...
  save me from Tomorrow..
   I don't want to sail in this Ship Of Fools...!'