[kj] (no subject)

sade1 saulomar1 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 25 02:15:58 EDT 2008

I agree about the current "sounds." I saw a band a couple of weeks ago interviewed
on a late-night show where the singer said this latest album was the band's "puberty"
being reached.
The singer said sumthin' like, "yeah, it's WILD..like a teenager who just got a new cellphone...."

areyoufuckin'kiddingme!!!!

Says it all.

I'd suggest..
rock'ish/guitar-based,etc...
Kasabian -- sorta 60s-psychedelica-goes-punk'ish
The Killers -- sorta U2-Echo&thBunnymen-Cheap Trick
Shiny Toy Guns - synthpop-rock-80s-disco'ish
M.I.A -- rap-dance'ish
Juanes -- Latin pop-rock'ish
She Wants Revenge - Bauhaus/JoyDivision-goes-Emo (not too bad)

electronica...
Neuroactive -- Depeche Mode via heavy dance beats
Ladytron -- sorta Kraftwerk'ish via BookOfLove channeling Pet Shop Boys
FunkerVogt -- very Industrial dance music
VNV Nation -- synthy-industrial-dance

African music...
Konono No.1 awesome stuff; their distortioned melodies reminded me
of Geordie when i 1st heard this band
Amanpondo great music and live work

Tim Merrill <timmerrill at hotmail.com> wrote:
.hmmessage P { margin:0px; padding:0px } body.hmmessage { FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma }
Hey hey. I hate to start sounding like a crusty old curmudgeon, but I've got a bit of an issue with modern music.

Seems anymore I'm always falling back on old standards when I throw on the stereo.

(Kj, Stranglers, The Fall, Wire, Ian Dury).

Maybe it's just me getting older, but nothing really kicks me in the plums anymore. Seems like most 'music' these

days is just sterile, unimaginative, and as threatening as a baby. I don't get alot of this 'Folk Rock', like

Iron and Wine, Devandra Barnhart, etc. Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm not a closed minded twat, it's just that there's

very little out there that's striking the anvil, so to speak.

SO gatherers, I do trust your opinions, and taste, so I ask you, what's out there anymore? What's new that's been

floating your boat? The last few good things i've dug into are: Mogwai, Thievery Corporation,

Antibalas Afrobeat Orchestra, Polysics, and the new Firewater record (Todd Ashley - ex Cop Shoot Cop)

Thanks for letting me ramble..................

(looking at the current state of things)

'Save me..
save me from Tomorrow..
I don't want to sail in this Ship Of Fools...!'