[kj] BPF

Alexander Smith vassifer at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 22 19:39:36 EDT 2008

Oh Coleman --- duh, my bad. Yeah, I did, but here's a funny story
(well, I don't know if it's a "funny" story, but....)

The interview was circa PANDEMONIUM and took place at a now long-
defunct East Village bar called The Notell Motel. I was to speak with
Geordie, Youth and Jaz, and in that order.

First up was Geordie. He was perfectly professional, if a bit
distracted by the soft-core, vintage porn that was showing on the
televisions behind the bar ("Ooh, she's got a nice one!"). Next up was
Youth, who was eating some very smelly Indian food and seemed rather
bored and/or stoned.

Next up was Jaz. Jaz was late, and showed up wearing the double-D
(denim on denim -- this is not a good look, although i didn't tell him
so). For the Jaz interview, we got to goto a room in the back for a
proper sit-down.

Jaz was very intense (as always) and I was shaking like a leaf
throughout (as one usually does when one sits down with one of one's
heroes). The one instance I vividly remember from the interview was
that I asked him a very difficult question. I asked him if he felt
like the Boy Who Cried Wolf, being that he'd been predicting the end
of the world for so long and that it simply hadn't happened. For the
majority of the interview, Jaz was perfectly measured and cool, but at
this question, all the humor drained from his face and he looked as if
he was entirely prepared to slit my throat. I back-pedaled frantically
saying that that's what "the critics" were saying, not me (I'm such a
coward). He regained his composure, but that was pretty much that.

Here's the horrible part. When I got home, I discovered that my tape
recorder had been stuck on pause THROUGH THE ENTIRETY OF THE INTERVIEW
WITH ALL THREE MEMBERS. Friends have suggested that this might have
been a prank by one of the members when I wasn't looking. Who knows?

I interviewed Jaz again over the phone, and he was lovely. I
interviewed Youth circa DEMOCRACY and actually have an MP3 of it
(though a very large one).

I interviewed Martin Atkins once as well, and he ended up calling my
home a few days later -- and talking with my mother -- which was most
odd.

That's my story.

Alex in NYC