[kj] OT: why I hate cats...

sade1 saulomar1 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 10 22:53:56 EDT 2008

Further, successful evolution is not only an internal (to the organism) process,
it also requires sufficient isolation and nurturance of the beneficial mutation, mass
extinctions** of competing mutation/s, and finally the new mutant (us, 2.0) must (be
able and willing to) reproduce successfully and see its offspring off into maturity.

For all we know, there may already have been far superior mutations of us but
if all of the above three didn't take place, it would never have survived.

**to keep it from being
'swamped out' by other
alternative mutations, present or future

Brendan Quinn <bq at soundgardener.co.nz> wrote:
v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} .shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);} st1\:*{behavior:url(#default#ieooui) } Yeah I think biologists look at it more as “survival of the adequate” these days as opposed to survival of the fittest, which is a theory that has been accused of being abused by Nazis and all sorts.

From what I know evolution is speeding up as the human population increases (= more ramdon mutations per generation), the environment changes (more natural selection) and the environment could even be affecting evolution us directly in terms of shitty food and electromagnetic crap causing mutations directly. That may be more conspiracy theory, as I believe you can only pass on mutations if they affect sex genes.

Interesting science coming out about RNA nowadays, looking from what I remember reading about it that genetics as we know it is about a lot more than DNA
will have to fish that info out