[kj] Track of the day . . Angels of Light/Swans

Alexander Smith vassifer at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 28 07:23:23 EDT 2007

Well, as I said in the last sentence of that blog post, it's very
difficult to sum up the band's entire oeuvre neatly. They went from
being intensely loud noise rock to being sort've quasi-industrial to
making sort've sweeping, often-lushly-orchestrated pieces. Lots of
folks cite CHILDREN OF GOD as the big turnaround point. I quite like
a lot of the early stuff, but a little goes a long way (Darth E.
Vader -- or whatever he's calling himself these days -- probably has
some thoughts on Swans).

My personal fave is LOVE OF LIFE, which -- for some inane reason --
is out of print these days. There are a number of compilations like
VARIOUS FAILURES still making the `rounds. SOUNDTRACKS FOR THE BLIND
(their last one) is roundly hailed as a remarkable achievement. I've
never heard the live one, SWANS ARE DEAD, but both KILL THE CHILD and
the tastily named PUBLIC CASTRATION IS A GOOD IDEA both make for a
bracing listen. OMNISCIENCE (also live) captures their latter period
fairly well.

I don't know. Again, a little Swans can go a long way.

Alex in NYC