[kj] Punk vets Bad Religion on Conan O'Brien tonight

B. Oliver Sheppard bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net
Tue Sep 11 14:41:03 EDT 2007

An old NME review of Killing Joke reads: "Visually it seems
keyboard/vocalist Jaz has to overcompensate for guitarist Geordie and
bassist Youth whose movements rarely go beyond stepping back and forth
from the microphone to deliver backing vocals. It is a mite hypocritical
when Youth tells the audience to dance."
http://www.anirrationaldomain.net/articles/1979-1982/nme0581.html

Honestly, like I said to the person on the YouTube Jon Stewart video
page, to someone who complained Jaz didn't move around enough, I always
thought Jaz had a pretty creepy, deliberate stage presence. Like on the
XXV anniversary DVD, no, Jaz isn't thrashing about, but he looks like
he's in some sort of evil trance, which works with the music, I think.
There are a ton of MTV boy punk bands that flail about when the music
doesn't warrant such a display. It seems like the flailing about is a
way of cheating for these types, fooling folks into making the music
think it's more powerful than it is.

Similarly, although musically The gray Race was the last Bad Religion LP
I liked, their lack of flailing about on stage has never bothered me --
I always took it as kind of the anti-rock star, anti rock n' roll thing
that some bands subscribed to.

-Oliver