[kj] OT : Maddy ... I might be wrong ...

pssyche23 antoni at clara.net
Sat Sep 8 04:05:15 EDT 2007

* http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6983604.stm *

This saga has now got rather political ... but as the Portugese authorities,
media and tourism industry has had to deal with this unprecedented adverse
publicity for over 4 months now, I suspect that everyone has got pretty fed
up with it all and want closure ... the problem with the McCann's is that,
whether they did do it or not, they (and their family and friends) have
burnt too many bridges and made too many enemies on foreign soil, so that if
the police think they have sufficient evidence to convict, they are prepared
to do so and in some countries being charged is the worst thing possible,
you are guilty unless you can prove you are innocent (hello Kalamata) ... if
and when they are formally charged, Kate McCann has a stark choice
(especially if she is innocent) to enter into a plea bargain, take the rap
and be out in a year or face a considerable and unpleasant time in jail.
Personally, I feel they have brought it upon themselves.

Like many others, I've been in many discussions from day one about it all
being strange, the lack of emotion, leaving young kids unattended to go out
for a meal, a highly organised media campaign ... all these things probably
don't endear the family to the locals and could easily add to a whispering
campaign against them ... for my own part when, after 8 days, we had the
sight of Everton players wearing t-shirts and a minute's silence at a
Chelsea FC football match, I couldn't help thinking that truly distraught
parents just wouldn't be doing such things ... surely the not knowing would
make complete wrecks of them ... were these just actions of a highly
intellegent & calculating man, trying to cover up that fact that his wife
had accidently killed their 3 year old with sedatives ? Maybe, I just don't
know ... but with the parents travelling to see the pope, the US president
and all those visits to other countries whilst countless other children go
missing ... it is all very strange to me ...

Another thing that always bugged me was that if the child was abducted,
surely such a widespread publicity campaign would make it almost impossible
for that child to come back alive ... the real cynic would say that if they
put as much effort into the original childcare arrangements, none of this
would ever have occurred.

Regards, Antoni