[kj] the essence

Darren A. Peace dpeace at bigfoot.com
Wed Sep 5 18:37:27 EDT 2007

Well. Was playing a gig when two people who'd bought us drinks at the
soundcheck yelled out for "Subterranean Homesick Blues". I felt it was
important to stop the song we'd just started and make a solemn announcement
that I'd heard on the radio just before our set that Dylan had been killed
in a multiple pile-up. I was prone to such things.

Anyway, the pair became friends, and came to loads of our gigs, so when they
invited me and our bassist to come to a Lou Reed gig, we thought why not?
After a three-hour drive to London, and an afternoon in the pub, we were all
staggering to the venue when my eyes suddenly focussed on the posters.
Dylan! Oh fuck, I thought, but went in anyway after multiple promises from
our hosts that a) we'd be totally blown away and, more importantly, b) they
were buying.

After about fifteen hours of skanky-haired whining, and our hosts excitedly
squealing to each other that he'd not sung this verse in "The Ballad Of The
Syphilitic Armadillo And The Leprous Squid" since 1939, we took our leave,
leaving the venue of round spectacles to themselves and our hosts to
presumably make a gay porno together later. Caught the tail-end of a Gang Of
Four set, which made me feel better, at least, but the scars still remain.

Darren
Hungerford, UK