[kj] the essence

Alexander Smith vassifer at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 4 16:48:23 EDT 2007

I make no secrets about my guilty pleasures. And I don't mean to pick
on Jo who started this particular thread, but citing the hackneyed
ol' chestnut that is "Like a Rolling Stone" as a "quintessential rock
anthem." I mean -- come on, people -- isn't that why PUNK rock was
invented? To topple those yawnsome sacred cows?

I mean, KISS remains one of my favorite ever bands -- and cranked out
a number of worthy "quintessential rock anthems" in their day (my
pick of theirs would invariably be "Shout It Out Loud"), but at least
Kiss are knowingly stupid and ridiculous, wallowing in the shallow
vapidity of RAWK and spectacle -- not that piously folky/hippy
freedom rock crapola that is Bob Dylan. Go smoke a doobie in your VW
van with a tye-dye wearin' Jack Keroac disciple if you're gonna throw
that tripe on.

But in terms of a rock anthem as a fists-aloft, hell yeah mission-
statement, I'd sooner cite:

"BLACK TO COMM" by the MC5
"Blank Generation" by Richard Hell & the Voidoids
"Cretin Hop" by the Ramones
"Jocko Homo" by Devo
"Lust for Life" by Iggy Pop
"White Riot" by the Clash
"Pretty Vacant" by the Pistols
"Something Better Change" by The Stranglers
"Overkill" by Motorhead
"Rise Above" by Black Flag
"Drop The Bombs" by Cop Shoot Cop

...hell, even "Antmusic" by Adam & the Ants has more oomph and
resonance than fuckin' "Like a Rolling Stone".

Sorry, Jo. Rant over.

Alex in NYC