[kj] Lance Hahn RIP

Change crackedmachine at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Oct 26 10:32:25 EDT 2007

Sadly Raven of Killing Joke wasn't the only person
that died last weekend

R.I.P Lance Hahn
Sunday, October 21, 2007, 10:20 PM

Austin-based musician, journalist and punk rock icon
Lance Hahn died Sunday after a long illness brought on
by complications from kidney disease. He had been in a
coma since collapsing during dialysis treatment on
Friday, October 12th. He was 40.

According to Liberty Lidz, Lance's longtime
girlfriend, his collapse was due to a sudden, drastic
drop in blood pressure, probably caused by a
recurrence of an infection he had in September
combined with the stress of dialysis. He received
immediate CPR from medical professionals at the
dialysis center, but it took more than fifteen minutes
to resuscitate him. Lance suffered neurological damage
from lack of oxygen to the brain, leaving him in a
coma from which he never returned.
The specter of failing health followed Lance in his
last months. Like so many musicians and artists in
Austin, he did not have health insurance.

Hahn was best known for the prolific rock band J
Church, which since its inception in 1992 produced
dozens of singles, EPs, and albums of sharp, melodic
songs mixed with punk attitude. As Hahn was quoted in
1995, “A lot of people write trying to keep track of
all the records we put out. I can’t even remember.”
(The band was only three years old at the time.)
Hahn also played in the punk band Cringer from 1984 to
1991, played guitar for the rock musician Beck in
1994, owned and operated the Honey Bear record label,
was a long-time contributor to the international punk
rock magazine “Maximum Rock n Roll,” and published the
zine “Some Hope and Some Despair.” Many unfamiliar
with Hahn’s music knew him as a manager at the Vulcan
Video store on South Congress.
At the time of his death, Hahn was near completion on
a book about the history of anarchist punk bands,
portions of which have been excerpted in “Maximum Rock
n Roll.”

Born in Hawaii, Hahn was of the generation for whom
punk rock was neither a just a genre nor a passing
fashion, but a way of looking at the world. “He
claimed to be the first person in Hawaii with a
Mohawk,” said his partner Liberty Lidz.

After Hahn, by then a California resident, formed J
Church, the band became a staple of the San Francisco
punk rock community. The group’s catchy music,
do-it-yourself work ethic and Situationist leanings
were both a sharp contrast and perfect fit with
hundreds of heavier or poppier acts.

Throughout his life, Hahn wore many hats: punk
chronicler and freelance writer, record and video
retail rat, Honey Bear Records kingpin, member of
Cringer from 1984 to 1991, and since 1992, the
lynchpin of J Church. But for all that Hahn had on his
plate at any given time, his biggest role in life
seemed to be “nice guy,” judging by the outpouring of
kindness shown to him during setbacks in his life and
from the reactions of friends and admirers upon news
of his death.

With Hahn’s medical bills escalating this summer, a
group of forward-thinking labels (No Idea, Cat Food
Money, Vinehell, Jerk Off, and Tic Tac Totally) banded
together to issue the J Church/Cringer tribute album
Let’s Do It For Lance! to help him out financially.
When Hahn and partner Liberty Lidz’ apartment and
$40,000 worth of possessions were destroyed by a fire
in 2002, benefit shows were quickly put on in Austin,
New York, San Francisco, Japan, and England. He added,
talking to the Austin American-Statesman in December
that year, “There was something in Luxembourg also. I
keep getting these checks in the mail from these
shows. At first, I felt a little awkward about
accepting cash, but people wanted to help.” The punk
community has a stellar record of always helping
friends in need, but Hahn’s status has sparked eager
calls to arms whenever immediate action was needed.

Lance's final blog entry, on Oct.7th was short, to the
point and as close to a good-bye as we will get. "Even
with the drugs I feel like I've got needles in my
stomach. I'm about to run out of Vicodin and I'm
pretty nervous about it. I know I've said it before
but I don't mind dying or getting hurt. It's the pain
I can't handle."

No death is inconsequential, but there is something
truly sad when the music community loses a vital mover
and shaker. In a world where fashion unfortunately
always eclipses passion, Hahn’s dedication to
genuineness, in his life and music, will be sorely
missed.

--- Jap <miho4001 at yahoo.co.jp> wrote:

> http://www.paulraventribute.com/

INTERZONE
http://www.augustineleudar.110mb.com/Interzone.htm

RTX, Kristin Hersh, Githead, Shellac, Michael Gira & the Dirty Three interviewed here:
http://www.perfectsoundforever.com

Polysics interviewed here:
http://www.cultcargo.net