[kj] (OT) Jesus and Mary Chain Live in LA

Alexandra Tolksdorf a.tolksdorf at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Oct 24 14:41:33 EDT 2007

Reading that made me slightly sick with envy...

Saw BRMC some years ago and was completely blown away.
Saw JAMC once quite a few years ago and had a same-ish experience with the crowd, i.e. they stood around looking bored while I was jumping around and dancing my socks off.
Oh well.

Glad you had a good time.

~Alexandra.(Hamburger)

"T.B." <Partyslammer at socal.rr.com> wrote:
A little somethin g different from the recent darkness today:

Saw Black Rebel Motorcycle Club and The Jesus and Mary Chain last night at
The Wiltern in LA. I've seen JaMC twice before, once in '92 and again in
'98 about a week before the broke up onstage. Never seen BMRC before but
they've been one band I've wanted to see for some time but kind of lost
interest after their 2nd album a couple years ago. As BMRC modeled much of
their sound from JaMC, this was a perfect pairing.

One thing that kind of got me in a pissed mood right away was that
apparently this show sold "Pit" tickets so unlike any other show I've seen
at The Wiltern, it didn't matter how early you got there with a GA floor
ticket, you couldn't get in the pit unless you had a "GA Pit" ticket.
Initially, a lot of people trying to get into the pit were pretty pissed off
about this.

Anyway, I don't know who the two guys playing electric guitar were (Evan
Dando solo and a friend?) but their short opening set was like watching
paint dry.

BMRC played an unfortunately short 45 minute set that focused a lot on their
last album "Howl" but was surprisingly strong nonetheless. I definitely
have to go out and pick that album up. Although a few of my early favorite
tunes off their first release weren't played (no "Love Burns" or "Red Eyes
and Tears") but "Spread Your Love" sounded excellent. As musicians, they
impressed the hell out of me with Robert Turner and Peter Hayes often
switching guitar and bass and singing duties depedning on the song. They
also rounded out their sound with a 4th guy usually on guitar. I'd like to
see these guys again but in a small club, not a place like The Wiltern.

JaMC came on about 10:10pm and played a 80 minute well focused set. For me,
highlights included Snakedriver and an exceptionally strong "Blues from a
Gun" as well as a nice encore featuring a great version of "Darklands" and
the album style version of "Reverence." The sound was loud and sharp, loud
enough that about 2/3rds through their set, I went upstairs and found an
empty seat in the balcony and watched the rest of the shoe from there.

I will say that this lineup they're touring with is probably the strongest
I've ever seen, especially the drummer. Frontman Jim Reid was completely
lucid and focused on his job fronting the band although also typically
nonchalant and almost unemotional when addressing the crowd. The only fuck
up was a false start on "Between Planets (I think)." On the other hand, the
tension I'd noticed at the previous shows in the 90's was absent which in
the past made the band much more interesting onstage. More than ever, they
typify the shoegazer generation.

Which leads to the audience. Basically a good, well behaved bunch although
I noticed a *lot* of rather disinterested people chatting on cell phones,
texting and doing just about anything other than enjoying the band. Granted,
JaMC aren't the most exciting band on a stage you'll ever see, but why
bother going to see live music if you're going to spend all your time
fucking with your phone?

Here's the setlist as I remember it for JaMC:

Never Understand
Head On
Far Gone and Out
Catchfire