[kj] NME, Uncut acknowledge Raven

jpwhkj at aol.com jpwhkj at aol.com
Mon Oct 22 18:32:38 EDT 2007

That clip from The Tube is stunning - a reminder of one of the Joke's highpoints.? Kings and Queens is a great track, combining both the primal stomp of t'Joke and Geordie's unearthly guitar.? Watching the four of them really took me back.

Jaz - completely caught up in the music and the performance, revelling in it.

Geordie - wandering around the stage caressing his guitar.

Big Paul - beating those drums with his unique sense of funky dance (watch him move) and tribal beat

Raven, marching forwards and backwards, thwacking his bass...

What a team.

There was a radio interview at the time, with just Jaz and Raven, and Jaz referred to Big Paul and Raven as "the Sly and Robbie of the new music".? Raven cackles and says "Sly and Dodgy".

The rest of my family is now in bed, and I'm off downstairs for a glass of tequila in honour of Raven.

All respect to the man for the incredible music he made.

Jamie