[kj] Thoughts on Raven

B. Oliver Sheppard bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net
Mon Oct 22 15:35:41 EDT 2007

I never met Paul Raven, but he was the sort of person I always thought
I'd end up meeting sooner or later. I friended his MySpace profile
awhile back and noticed he was pretty hands-on with it, that he was not
distant and unapproachable like a lot of musicians. Down to earth, in
other words. This is probably why I always thought I'd meet him some
day. Those of you who've met him are lucky! Now the chance to ever meet
him face to face is gone.

From a musical legacy standpoint, I also think he was really cool
because he was a living link between the classic '77 phase of punk and
newer music that was spawned from that era. A lot of musicians who start
out in '77-era Brit punk bands either live in the past and stay in that
rut eternally, like The Exploited doing tours over and over again, or
they go on to try to make slick pop and have a Top 40 career, like the
Billy Idol types. I like Raven because progressed from '77 punk (Neon
Hearts) into newer music, like Ministry and Prong, and was willing to
evolve, even drive that evolution, but never try to do what would appeal
to Top 40 masses -- he was always in projects that were pushing musical
evolution and without being the frontman or trying to hog the limelight.
He was never trying to steal anyone's fire, but he was busy creating his
own!

-Oliver