[kj] AP: " Do superstars still need record labels?"

Flight Bringer flightbringer at hotmail.co.uk
Sat Oct 13 08:45:41 EDT 2007

You can really say that Radiohead are following in Fugazis footsteps by imitating them and their sales policy . The record industry has changed beyond recognition over the last 20 years .
I dont believe that Radiohead did what they did in the name of being independent , i believe that it was because of the changing market and changing technology and ot was a way of making money .
Radiohead received £5 Million in the first few days of them putting their album on line , thats £5Million directly to them , baring in mind that to receive £5Million from a Record Company for sales of an album, they would have had to sell something like £100 million worth of sales over the counter.
If they would have gone down the record company route and sold their album through shops, they would have gotten something like 50 pence for each Album sold . The majority of people would have down loaded it anyway , so to make it freely available and to ask for a donation is a good business strategy .