[kj] OT: White trash

GREG SLAWSON gregslawson at msn.com
Thu Oct 11 20:08:52 EDT 2007

It's really a pretty anti-working class term. No excuse me while I clear out the empty Coors Lite cans from my trailer (yuckity yuk)...> Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 09:01:23 +1300> From: bq at soundgardener.co.nz> To: gathering at misera.net> Subject: [kj] OT: White trash> > Hi Mel,> > I blitzed through your email quickly before work this morning...downloaded> it on my PC at home so I don't have it in front of me at work now> unfortunately...(I have to use this shitty webmail interface)...> > I have never heard the term black trash used...I suppose my point was that> you get away with 'white trash' but I've never heard 'black' or 'yellow'> trash for instance. It seems to me that 'white trash' is something that> has snuck into the popular vernacular under the radar, without the> politically correct brigade pouncing on it. Perhaps they have but I didn't> bother Googling it yet :) But regardless of any ivory tower debate about> it, I hear the term all the time and it seems to be used without a real> understanding of the racist undertones. Often it's used> self-deprecatingly...> > Anyway i just thought it would be a point of discussion. I'd never> consider calling anyone 'black trash' although I have used the term 'white> trash', until that is I had a think about it.> > _______________________________________________> Gathering mailing list> Gathering at misera.net> http://four.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/gathering