[kj] OT: At least the french suck at something

Brendan bq at soundgardener.co.nz
Thu Oct 11 16:19:28 EDT 2007

I decided not to wade into the French debate, could of course have
mentioned the Rainbow Warrior, being a kiwi. But I don't think it's
indicitive of the french people on the whole...governments and militaries
do crappy things that are not sanctioned by the public. I'm not about to
go around calling Americans cunts because I disagree with Iraq. NZ doesn't
have a blemish free history by any means. People are people.

My Dad took me along to Greenpeace's offices the day they sunk the Rainbow
Warrior, as a last ditch effort to lobby them not to do it. He wanted them
to keep it, as a figurehead of protest, which it was. There was a fair bit
of debate about sinking the thing. Was a bit of a shame, but it came down
to money in the end, the thing was fucked, and not worth repairing, from
memory.

One thing that pisses me off is that the agents who did the bombing (in
which a guy was killed) got released far too early, under pressure from
the french govt, to a 'neutral' island or some crap where they were
supposed to finish their sentence, and never did. They ended up going back
to france and getting medals. Well done...kill a Greenpeace activist (who
had a son) and get a medal. More than anything in that whole debacle I
felt sorry for the guy's wife and son.

Quite unbelievable really, if it was a small country vs a larger one it
would have been taken as a act of war. I still find it hard to believe
they were arrogant enough to do it. Totally backfired for them in the end
though, raised the awareness of Greenpeace, nuclear testing in the pacific
etc. Good job.

PS: My original post about the french sucking was basically a forward, I
didn't create it, was being a bit tongue in cheek about the All Blacks
losing the rugby quarter final to the french, who admittedly played really
well (the ref certainly helped too).