[kj] Quicksand/Baby Gopal/108

Devacor at aol.com Devacor at aol.com
Wed Oct 10 13:03:03 EDT 2007

In a message dated 10/10/2007 11:47:27 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net writes:

I bought the Baby Gopal LP, the baby blue and pink one, in '96 or '97,
whenever it came out, and didn't expect it to sound like it did. This
was really before Napster, much less Soulseek, so you still had to buy
an album, often, before discovering what it was like. Or a listening
station at a music store. I was a big fan of Victory and NYHC-related
bands (still am), and bought LPs based on what label they were on, as
labels still tended to have styles particular to them 9Amphetamine
Reptile sound vs. Dischord sound, etc.). So, I bought Baby Gopal,
thought it'd be like early Shelter or 108 or Strife but w/ female vox...
but, well...

In retrospect, their album art was sort of ahead of its time. Very
bizarre back then, esp. for a release on an east coast hc release, but
looks like the way a lot of album covers do now on mainstream labels.

I could never get into the band, still have the Gopal CD, though.

-Oliver

yes baby gopal had members of those bands you mentions (shelter, strife,
108) so they could have marketed it as like "power pop" with members of those
bands.
108 got back together and has some new stuff which is strong-
_www.myspace.com/108music_ (http://www.myspace.com/108music)
the song three hundred liars has a very "Quicksand'ish" riff I think. Angel
Strike Man is a good song also- Its good solid hardcore. Vic the guitar
player for 108 was in Beyond with Tom Capone (guitar) and Alan cage (drums) from
Quicksand (pre quicksand) - Vic also founded Inside Out with Zac Del La Rocha.
~Adam