[kj] OT: Jane's WAS: New October File vid

Brendan bq at soundgardener.co.nz
Tue Oct 9 21:07:12 EDT 2007

Just can't reconcile how a band that could come up with Dream On could
devolve into the band(s) you mentioned, there was a great future ahead of
them by the sounds of it. Suppose they decided selling records and living
the lifestyle was the top priority. Shame, some bands like Led Zep managed
both...being awesome yet still selling billions of records and living the
lifestyle. Would have thought Aerosmith would have had it in them to do
the same (although not to the same level). Maybe they did more drugs...but
by the looks of late model Jimmy Page...maybe not. His transformation from
rock god in the 70s to bony junkie in the 80s was pretty dramatic. Bet
there was an inverse relationship between the smack and the hot groupies
too...

Disappointing the course some bands decide to take. Like nickleback...the
guy has a good, distincitive voice and the band seem fine, they just play
such unadulterated shit, constantly harping on about their sappy
emasculated feelings, in every single song. Perhaps the guy would have
more luck in love if he wasn't such a soppy girl.

Waste of talent. must be a case of power corrupting. 10 000 000 adoring
fans and all the money and attention must be worth more to some than 1 000
000 true fans and...fuck all money ;)

> As far as I'm concerned, there are really TWO Aerosmiths -- the band

> of the `70's, who were tirelessly obnoxious, drunken, druggy cut-

> throats who wrote great tunes like "Back In The Saddle," "Mama Kin"

> and "Toys in the Attic" -- and then there was the newly clean 'n'

> sober Aerosmith circa PERMANENT VACATION and beyond, who wrote hi-

> gloss sports bar jukebox fare and mawkish ballads for big budget

> Hollywood films. Suffice to say, the awfulness of the latter almost

> negates the greatness of the former.

> Alex in NYC

> On Oct 9, 2007, at 6:51 PM, Brendan wrote:

>> Haha...nothing says LA rock MORE to me than late model aerosmith, I

>> had a

>> feeling I'd get their origins wrong though. It's just the lipstick,

>> teased

>> hairspprayed hair, jewelry, flamboyant clothes, faux gay androgny

>> etc that

>> reeks LA rock to me...

>> Eddie Vedder is from LA but became a 'Seattle' icon when he moved

>> up to

>> audition for PJ in 91, and got onto Temple of the Dog after a hand

>> up from

>> Chris.

>> And if I can get away with those arguments then I'm gonna become a

>> lawyer...

>>> :::breathing measuredly:::

>>> Aerosmith are not "LA Glam Metal" either. They certainly INSPIRED

>>> that scene, but they pre-date it by about fifteen years.

>>> And they're from fuckin' BOSTON. And if you liked "Dream On" (deathly

>>> overplayed, if you ask me), seek ye "Seasons of Wither" from their

>>> debut album. And they had scores of great songs PRIOR to their late

>>> 80's high gloss makeover.