[kj] OT: Jane's WAS: New October File vid

B. Oliver Sheppard bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net
Tue Oct 9 21:05:39 EDT 2007

T.B. wrote:

> I don't know if I'd call solo era Johnny Thunders "glam." Being a

> junkie doesn't make someone "glam."

Of course it doesn't. I used the single phrase "heroin-thin" among a
string of other adjectives to paint an overall pictur. I did not paint
it as the salient characteristic. Others were kind enough to do that for
me here. Now the heroin part has been focused on laserlike as if it's
all I mentioned, or as if I said it was the major pillar of the
phenomenon. I didn't.

TB wrote:

"Bowie definately went through a period that could be legitimately
labeled "glam," especially considering he helped define much of what the
label/genre would represent. Iggy Pop, not so much. If anything, Iggy
Pop was the prototypical punk."

Well, for me one of the definitive documents of glam is Mick Rock's
_Blood and Glitter_. From the publisher's description of the book: "If
Mick Rock had taken only two photos in his entire life- the 1972 shot of
Iggy Pop as a burnished statue of sinew and make-up, used for The
Stooges' Raw Power cover, and the hazy, ethereal 1972 portrait of David
Bowie, which made it onto the sleeve of Space Oddity - he'd still have
been a living God amongst anyone who grew up through the 70s. As Blood
And Glitter demonstrates with relentless panache, Rock did not stop at a
pair of zeitgeist-freezing images.[...] What becomes clear, as the
lipstick-smeared pages of Blood And Glitter turn, is that Rock was far
more than a 'glam photographer.' His engorged gallery of studio, live
and hanging-out depictions of the 'Unholy Trinity' - Iggy Pop, Bowie and
Lou reed.." blah blah. (And it is a great book.)

There is no clear line between much proto-punk and much glam. New York
Dolls -- case in point. Some of Bowie's stuff, and a lot of Iggy's
stuff. There are areas of overlap, as with anything like this. And some
was much more on one side than the other. Nothing hard and fast.

-Oliver