[kj] Sports

B. Oliver Sheppard bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net
Sat Oct 6 16:14:35 EDT 2007

For what it's worth, I'm in total agreement with you about the
football/sports thing in America. You mentioned books about the zealotry
sports inspires -- one I happen to have is Dennis Perrin's _American
Fan: Sports Mania and the Culture That Feeds It_. There's a great quote
from George Carlin in it: "I'm not too thrilled with the sports media
people either. The talent is marginal, they bring nothing to the mix,
and their palpable envy of the players is embarrassing.... You wanna
know the problem? Athletes get tons of money and pussy, and all the best
drugs. The sports media don't."

I hope the employment/money situation improves soon. Wish I could help
out; I've practically no connections in New York, though. Hope things go
well. ;(

-Oliver