[kj] . . Clutch/Homies

Devacor at aol.com Devacor at aol.com
Wed Oct 3 08:45:07 EDT 2007

In a message dated 9/28/2007 10:55:34 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net writes:

Adam,

Am I thinking of the wrong band, or did Clutch start out as basically
from the DC area, and played basically hardcore on their EP, but, like
you said, got tired of it, and became a kind of bizarre take on redneck
rock? In other words, their first and harder to find EP was more or less
straight hardcore. Some of the tracks on _Transnational SPeedway
Anthems_ have a rhythmic component that reminds me of Jesus Lizard or
something (but not the vocals). I might be getting the 1st EP thing
mixed up with someone else.

-Oliver

This is correct- They were somewhat cookie cutter suburban hardcore kids
when I knew them (pre and beginning Clutch).
There first EP I do recall was pretty much hardcore.
At some point I remember hearing they moved to Harpers Ferry West Virginia
(a little more then an hour from where we live) bought some old house and were
getting into the civil war "scene" and all the memorabilia. Harpers Ferry
was a civil war town- Then that seemed to morph into "Redneck" and whatever they
are doing now...
~adam