[kj] Ian MacKaye clears up death rumors

B. Oliver Sheppard bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net
Tue Oct 2 20:51:00 EDT 2007

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/entertainment/critics/blog/2007/10/ian_mackaye_is_alive_elvis_is.html

A phone rings at 6:08 p.m. in Arlington, Va. A 45-year-old man picks up.
The caller doesn't even have the chance to offer a greeting.

"I am still alive," reports Ian MacKaye, the frontman of such punk acts
as Minor Threat and Fugazi, and the founder of Washington's Dischord
Records.

This would not be news except that The Sun and apparently many other
organizations had been told that MacKaye was, in fact, dead. We were
told that he died Monday night at Baltimore's St. Agnes Hospital. A call
to the hospital found no evidence of such a patient. We followed up with
calls to Dischord (left a message) and to MacKaye's home.

"I am happy to report that I am not dead," says MacKaye. He and the
record company had been blasted with calls, he says, after premature
reports of his death were posted on MySpace and Wikipedia. He says he
hasn't been able to find the MySpace reference, but had the Wikipedia
posting removed -- and then re-removed, once someone reinserted the
false news.