[kj] OT : Feeding Of The 2,500 tonight

iPat pmdavies at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 04:10:24 EST 2007

no, Penny wasnt involved
Steve from the punk77 site answering the critisism:

"I was offered to do this gig and I was Ok I'm not really sure about
it so I thought I don't wanna get up there and do the usual thing. I
thought I'd really like to do a performance of 'Feeding Of The 5000'
as it is on the record, without 'Asylum' coz I mean only Eve Libertine
could do that. I don't want to touch that; that's a separate thing. I
couldn't invite other members of Crass to do it, I don't think they
would have done it anyway, coz the minute you get more than one ex
member of Crass to perform people think Crass are reforming and that's
definitely not the case. The other reason I wanted to to it was
because I think it would just be a great thing to do. In a way it's me
saying to the the members of Crass, 'look how great it was! weren't it
fantastic?' I have been reading the lyrics and rehearsing them and all
of the songs except I think 'Angels' are still relevant.
But because feeding is only about 30mins long if that, I'm gonna do
'Big A Little A' and 'Bloody Revolutions' complete with brass section
as I want to recreate all the radioey bits. I'll do 'Shaved Women' as
well, 'How Does It Feel' coz I think that's still relevant too and
it's a bloody cracking song. I might round the whole thing off with a
Schwarzenegger song, which is 'The Way Things Are'. I'm doing it for
2 nights and its gone from me thinking I'll do just a little half hour
slot in amongst all the other bands to snowballing to me thinking now
I'm headlining for two nights at the Shepherds Bush Empire.

I have got proper musicians to do it, they've all been in different
punk bands and stuff. So its gonna be a really respectful, smart,
really well done, well worth going to see performance. I've got Tony
Barber on lead guitar (not now!) I've got Gizz Butt who used to be in
the Prodigy and English Dogs on guitar as well, I've got the drummer
from the Boys who also plays for Die Toten Hosen and Bob Butler from
Schwarzenegger he's a really nice geezer. And me, and then and I've
got a women called Sadie who's gonna perform the women bit.

I went down there to look at the Empire and its like this old music
hall and well I've been getting into the old music hall cockney songs.
People like Marie Lloyd, Gus Elen and George Robey all performed at
the Shepherds Bush Empire and I m so excited to be singing in the same
place with my version of cockney hall music thing. I'm thinking of
getting a little band together and playing some of the obscure but
poignant music hall songs to do with the working class and that. But
really at the moment all I'm really doing is eating, sleeping and
shitting about this fucking gig in November.

It really is bizarre coz everyone is really up for it, really excited
by it, and I'm like fucking hell!. I said what security you got and he
said we use Show Sec and I said fuck they were the bunch of horrors
that caused a lot of trouble at Brixton when I did the 'Gathering of
the 5000' with Conflict. But they are totally different now. They are
not allowed to get physical now and if people get onstage they are
hauled off taken back outside and put back in the venue. It's not like
taking you out the back and beating you up. So how times have changed.

All I can say to would be critics who say I've sold out and I'm doing
it for money. Well I'm Not. It's been done for the right reasons, I
cant explain what those reasons are it - just feels right. If it
didn't I wouldn't fucking do it. The promoter also has a policy that
some of the money has to go to worthy causes, so he was like what
would you like your whack of it to go to? I said Id like it to go to
the Lifeboats at the village I live in now. Apparently I've been
slated for that as well. I should have donated it to a crisis centre
or to polio victims. I mean fucking hell where do these people get
off telling me what I can and cant do. The gig is turning into a big
thing and it's scary. I know if I cock it up I will never be able to
show my face outside my door again. It's really a big deal for me and
I know if I cock it up in front of the ex members of Crass its gonna
be terrible. its got to be right. So I'm really getting my
professional head on now talking to all the other band members for the
night making sure they are on the ball - and they are!

Some will I think Joy De Vivre, Phil Free and Pete Wright will go. I'm
not sure about Penny coz he doesn't agree with the gig. He's given me
permission to use his material but he said 'I don't know why you're
doing this Steve' but no-one else seems to mind out of Crass but for
some reason he doesn't agree with it. I thought fair enough that's
alright as I don't agree with some of the stuff he does either.