[kj] Johnny Depp/Dave Vanian

B. Oliver Sheppard bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net
Tue Nov 13 15:46:43 EST 2007

I agree, overall.

This skit with King Buzzo trying to buy a house with the influence he'd
had on multi-million dollar-making artists came at a time when Nirvana
and L7 were both in the Top 20 and seemed to regularly wear Melvins
t-shirts on national TV, or name-drop the band in interviews. Nirvana's
famous SNL show had them wearing a Melvins shirt, even, IIRC. It was
enough in those days for Nirvana to simply wear a band's shirt (Flipper)
on TV to prompt that band to either reform or suddenly get press
attention/back catalogue reprints they'd never had before.

Also, I'd like to be clear the whole point I brought this up was: 1)
Damn, look how much Johnny Depp looks like Dave Vanian in this new film;
2) I looked into it further, and thought, 'Wow, this is really weird;
here's a side by side comparison.' Given Depp routinely borrows others'
personae, it's hard to dismiss this as coincidence; 3) If that is so,
wouldn't it be nice if Vanian got credited or even some residuals, given
that The Damned have influenced bands that went on to make a lot more
$$$ than them? And then I showed one hypothetical way it could be done,
though I agreed Vanian was too modest to probably do any such thing
anyway. (They didn't seem to care about the "Life Goes On" and "Eightes"
similarities, after all, unlike a certain other band, who cared about a
song's similarity.)

Of course, on this list that became "BWAHAHA! YOU THINK DAVE VANIAN
SHOULD SUE JOHNNY DEPP BECAUSE HE HAS A STREAK IN HIS HAIR? OMG LOLOLOL!!"

-Oliver