[kj] OT : Red Beat (again)

Alexander Smith vassifer at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 13 14:18:50 EST 2007

"Deacon Blue" is just one bad apples in a basket of rancid fruit, as
far as I'm concerned. Coffee table jazz-rock for people with patches
on the elbows of their corduroy blazers hanging out in 70's wine bars.
Makes the Eagles sound like Venom.

Alex in NYC

On Nov 13, 2007, at 2:15 PM, Brendan wrote:

> I always got a (strong) hint of irony with it...and irony was still in

> fashion back in the 70s...Deacon Blue has never been a favourite of

> mine.

> Always thought of it as more of a statement, but I got the

> impression that

> the character they're putting across (olyrics are in first person)

> was a

> bit of a cliched joke...

> But admit I haven't ever tried to wrap my head around what drives

> Steely

> Dan to nearly the same extent as I do Killing Joke, Tool,

> Soundgarden, or

> The Muppets.

> Hey if you hate Steely Dan, you'll HATE Damon Albarn's awful vox on

> his

> cover of FM with Nathan Haines...it's god-awful IMO. Albarn has

> tried to

> cool it up and go more jazzy, ditch some of the rocky funky

> aspects...which to me is most of the appeal of FM.

>> I heard "Deacon Blue" by fuckin' Steely Dan in a store earlier this

>> week, and almost had to fuckin' walk out.

>> Awful, awful pretentious crap.

>> Alex in NYC

>> On Nov 13, 2007, at 12:50 AM, Brendan Quinn wrote:

>>> Interesting to see they list Steely Dan / Donald Fagan in

>>> ‘influences’ (well done) and Madonna (WTF?!)

>>> Takes all sorts eh?

>>> Subject: [kj] OT : Red Beat (again)

>>> http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=149196481