[kj] Carla Bozulich OT

Darth E. Vader crackedmachine at yahoo.co.uk
Thu May 24 07:23:21 EDT 2007

Here's Carla Bozulich:

Hi. Ok. Before the tour news I wanna say something.
I’ll try to keep it brief.

We lost someone. All of us. His name was Rod Poole.
Some of you didn’t know him
or his music but in this world there will never be
more of the same. He invented
his own music. He was an explorer. He combined ideas
and influences and
obsessions into his own way to play instrumental
acoustic guitar. His
compositions and improvisations were to fall into
let
yourself swim in there.
Lose yourself. And all on an acoustic guitar which he
had modified to work with
his interest in "just intonation"----something I don’t
understand. I do know he
played instrumental microtonal guitar finger-style and
that it was beautiful. He
was Rod. His thing was just different. He didn’t
bother trying to fit with what
people around him were playing or wearing. he just did
his thing with a
confidence I admired. He had his own points of view
which he stuck to, like it
or not. He was the only person to ever give me guitar
lessons (very patient even
though I never practiced) and he and his wife, Lisa,
wer
e great to be around. He’s recorded a lot--if you
don’t know him check him out.
He did stuff with Nels. He participated in so many
great nights and
events---contributed a hell of a lot to just about
whatever needed doing. he was
seriously loved and a crucial puzzle piece in the los
angeles underground and
experimental music scene.

Rod was murdered several days ago--sunday night in
hollywood. It was senseless
and so so brutal. Lisa was there. It’s suffocating to
think of this moment when
for her and anyone else the chance to spend time with
Rod and hear his new ideas
was destroyed, and over nothing more than a tiff
between strangers. The hole
this will leave is unfathomable. Love goes out to
Lisa. Love goes out to Rod.

That is all about Rod for now.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Tomorrow’s victoriaville festival promises to be
special times. When we got out
of the van tonight Buzz from the Melvins beautiful
bride of frankenstein afro
was blowin in the cool night breeze. I hung out with
John Zorn in the lobby and
while chatting he play-punched me several times
without noticing until I had to
ask him to stop. Very nice gent. Nadia, the organist
in my group has played here
before but her (troup?)got kicked out for wearing
white and throwing meat at
each others hair or something
.. there is a food here
called poutine which you
are supposed to eat in large quantities after drinking
too much. It is: french
fries, CHEESE CURDS, and meat flavoured gravy.

Tomorrows’ Evangelista band is oh so goddamn good. I
felt spoiled just to be
able to play with them in our three rehearsals. Once
again and totally by
chance, it is an all girl band. This has been the case
80% of the shows and
tours for quite a while. Funny because I always felt
unattached to the idea of
all girl projects. I like guys. they’re scrappy.
Anywaze, turns out the best man
for the job has for quite a while been a woman. It
feels GREAT to play with all
women. I didn’t know.

Cracked Machine irregular cyberzine
http://www.webinfo.co.uk/crackedmachine

An Evening of Fun in the Metropolis of Your Dream
http://www.incandessa.org.uk/mcrgigs.html

Look at grafitti scrawled on the wall:
Dubya can't catch family friend Bin Liner...
But what the HELL?
They talk to God!