[kj] Shot in the dark question for any fans of "martial pop, " "military pop, " apocalypic folk fans here--

B. Oliver Sheppard bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net
Sun May 6 04:28:03 EDT 2007

Hey all,

After attempting to explore some of the catalogue of music that's become
known for better or worse as "military pop," "martial music," etc., I'm
disappointed not more of it employs the sort of martial drumming I
associate with military cadences. You know, the kind of
rat-a-tat-tat-tat type snare hits used commonly by Crass in their early
days, and which Killing Joke used in the great song "Rejuvenation" off
_Fire Dances_. I think the first Death in June stuff from the early/mid
80s even used this at times.

Not I don't mean tribal drumming -- but military cadence-type, drill or
marching type percussion.

Can anyone help me find some decent music in a vaguely post-punk milieu
that uses this style of drumming? maybe I am overlooking something.

And I'm looking for specific songs, not whole albums or groups or
genres, unless it exclusively contains this style of percussion. Again
-- not tribal, but martial/military percussion. Very early Crass stuff
used this to great effect and I've rarely heard it elsewhere.

Thanks,

Oliver