[kj] Trax with Good Sax (was Neon Hearts 7", featuring Raven of KJ)

Darren A. Peace dpeace at bigfoot.com
Tue May 1 15:53:52 EDT 2007

I'm old enough to have got "Talk Talk Talk" well in context before the film
existed. Regarded the film as a bunion on the reputation of the song, rather
than associating the two, thankfully. I was saddened by the film-makers'
seeming inability to pick up on the sarcasm of "Pretty In Pink" the song
(everything Butler sings seems laced with world-weary poisonousness to me,
which is A Good Thing), although I think Butler rather lost the plot around
the re-recording, and "Midnight to Midnight" generally. I'll forgive anyone
involved in Love Spit Love's "Trysome Eatone" a great deal, however, and
Butler's recent solo album, after an initial "aargh AOR" reflex, is splendid
too.

"Talk Talk Talk" is a truly great album, in my view. I love what that
Lillywhite person did with the guitars. Churning all over the place, with
only occasional nods in the direction of tunefulness. Brilliant! "Into You
Like A Train", "I Just Want To Sleep With You" - cleared a fair few school
disco dancefloors with those two alone. And I'll always retain a fondness
for the "Dumb Waiters" single having an interview in the form of a clear
flexidisc fused to the front of the sleeve. Wrecked two styluses, that did.

Darren
Hungerford, UK