[kj] Top 10 bands

Brendan Quinn bq at soundgardener.co.nz
Sat Mar 31 07:55:02 EDT 2007

For once I feel way out of my depth music-wise, reading all of the bands you
guys are into, specifically those underground 80s bands etc. I'm class of
'73 and kinda got raised on the radio and the stuff my folks liked, which
luckily for me, not, was Elvis, Buddy Holly, Kenny Rogers, Joe Denver, Rod
Stewart, Simon and Garfunkel (which is the only thing I could really still
listen to out of that bunch). Radio friendly, easy listening, middle of the
road. I wasn't even privileged enough to have a Beatles album in the house,
sigh. My parents' idea of buying an album was a once a year thing, at best,
and was usually something like The Smurfs All Star Show *cringes*

Nowadays my mates take the pi$$ out of me bigtime for being into stuff like
Steely Dan, because it's what their parents listened to.haha. I only wish my
parents had that much taste."well you wouldn't know a diamond if you held it
in your hand."

The only other stuff I heard was the standard easy listening radio crap,
thinking back it was like a constant stream of bloody Lionel Ritchie,
Dancing on the Ceiling.I'm sure he's a nice chap, but I can't stand that
music. Some of the radio stuff was good, like The Police, The Beatles,
Queen, ELO, Adam Ant (an early favourite), Alan Parsons, 10CC, Genesis etc

The punk and 80s alternative, whatever you wanna call it, stuff kinda passed
me by, until relatively recently. I got into rock and metal mainly, the only
other stuff I seem to have in common with some of you guys in terms of that
other stuff is John Lydon, The Clash, Ramones, Misfits (was a big Danzig
fan, still like them), Husker Du etc. Some of the less obscure stuff I
suppose. It's freaky to read all these band names that I have no idea about,
except the metal stuff, because I'm usually more in the know than most ppl.

So anyway I am slowly doing my own 80s underground 101, it's pretty cool
because I never really knew there was so much cool stuff going on while I
was enduring Dancing on the Ceiling.Any tips appreciated, currently fleshing
out Killing Joke mainly, keen to hear some more PiL etc too.

Brighter than a Thousand Suns has been in my car for a few weeks and am
really enjoying it.

_____