[kj] Top 10 bands

TB Partyslammer at socal.rr.com
Fri Mar 30 23:40:52 EDT 2007

"Alexander Smith" wrote:

Mik -- Welcome back, my friend.

In terms of the new bands, I quite like: The Horrors (I know, I
know, I'm sorry), Secret Machines (thought their guitar player just
quit), Brand New, The Sword and Mastodon.

+++

Yeah, Secret Machine's guitarist Ben Curtis quit the band in late February
leaving his brother Brandon and drummer Josh Garza to somehow carry on as a
duo (at least that's what Brandon says they'll be) as they prepare to record
their third album in May. I was lucky enough to catch them right at the
beginning of their "Ten Silver Drops" tour a year ago when they were
probably at their peak in every sense of the word in a very small venue (the
same place I saw KJ in '03 in LA) and it was a great concert. I thought they
had tremendous potential and I wonder if they'll survive this lineup change.

Regarding Mik's comments about most of us, myself included naming mostly
80's bands as favorites and apparently not showing much love for any bands
who've been around a few years or less, I have to admit very few new artists
catch my interest anymore. The few bands that do are mostly decent rehashes
or extensions of familiar genres like the aforementioned Secret Machines,
Arcade Fire, Wolfmother, The White Stripes (and The Raconteurs), The
Killers, Mastodon and The Glitterati.

Still, I get more enjoyment out of "discovering" older bands that I
neglected in their heyday. Just this month, I started diving into Christian
Death's catalog.

T.B.