[kj] Top 10 bands...!!!!!

Marcos Santiago marcossantiago99 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 29 14:06:31 EDT 2007

ok here is my list-NON live BANDS

-ATRAX MORGUE
-CINDYTALK
-SLEEP CHAMBER
-MINDSPAWN
-LOVELIESCRUSHING
-NEUNTOETER DER PLAGUE
-NON
-THE MOON LAY HIDDEN BENEATH A CLOUD
-TRANCE TO THE SUN
-KILLING JOKE

cheers here in second cuba

MAURICE

Let's try this: A list of our fave 10 bands. Then
let's do the top 10 LIVE bands!

Greg

---------------------------------
From: "Darren A. Peace" <dpeace at bigfoot.com>
To: "'A list about all things Killing Joke (the
band!)'"<gathering at misera.net>
Subject: Re: [kj] [RE] OT: Mew
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 09:58:24 +0100

.shape{;}p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal,
div.MsoNormal{margin:0cm;margin-bottom:.0001pt;font-size:12.0pt;font-family:'Times
New Roman','serif';}a:link,
span.MsoHyperlink{color:blue;text-decoration:underline;}a:visited,
span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed{color:purple;text-decoration:underline;}span.EmailStyle17{font-family:'Calibri','sans-serif';color:#1F497D;}.MsoChpDefault{;}@page
Section1{size:612.0pt 792.0pt;margin:72.0pt 72.0pt
72.0pt 72.0pt;}div.Section1{page:Section1;}
Mew are great! I saw them supporting Martin Grech a
few years ago, and their show, even in stupidly small
venues, was hypnotic. They projected weird computer
animations over themselves, and are much harder live,
despite the disconcertingly high vocals. I recommend
their second Danish album “Half The World Is
Watching Me”, as it features stronger versions of
several songs from “Frengers”, particularly
“156”, “Am I Wry? No” and “Comforting
Sounds”. “A Triumph For Man”, their limited and
hitherto stupidly hard to find first album (I stopped
looking when the one that turned up on ebay a year ago
topped £200), has recently been reissued in
Scandanavian countries as a 2-disc set, which is nice,
although the album is more twee than what follows,
with nonsense about pandas and balloons. Very
eccentric song structures, though, of which I approve.

I’m interested by the fact that people, including
me, tend to regard the baseline of their appreciation
of a band as the first recording they connected with.
I heard “Half The World…” first, and so that is
the benchmark for me. “Glass Handed Kites”,
despite featuring one of the worst album covers I've
ever seen ( http://tinyurl.com/34fmqu - I think some
people should be banned from using Photoshop), is
wildly prog, and no worse for that – it certainly
repays the effort of the first few listens. The leap
of faith I have to make with Mew is overcoming my
aversion to very high male vocals (it shows how
shallow I am in that if the exact same album were
released and I were led to believe the vocals were
female, my attitude would be totally different – I
blame the corrupting influence of Pinky and Perky),
but they warrant the effort, in my view. When talking
with Jonas, the singer, I was startled to find that
his speaking voice is normally pitched – I had
expected Tiny Tim. Mew were adopted by REM, whom they
supported many times on legs of world tours, and I
really dislike REM, but can’t blame Mew for that!

Darren

Hungerford, UK