[kj] [OT] For our Californian friends

T.B. Partyslammer at socal.rr.com
Fri Jun 22 15:17:09 EDT 2007

"folk devil" wrote:

> New Driving Fines for 2007

> 1. Carpool lane - 1st time $1068.50 starting 7/1/07 (The $271 posted

> on the highway is old). Don't do it again because 2nd time is going to be

> double. 3rd time triple, and 4th time license suspended.

> 2. Incorrect lane change - $380. Don't cross the lane on solid lines or

> intersections.

> 3. Block intersection - $485

> 4. Driving on the shoulder - $450

> 5. Cell phone use in the construction zone. - Double fine as of 07/01/07.

> Cell phone use must be "hands free" while driving.

> 6. Passengers over 18 not in their seatbelts - both passengers and drivers

> get tickets .

> 7. Speeders can only drive 3 miles above the limit.

> 8. DUI = JAIL (Stays on your driving record for 10 years!)

> 9. As of 07/01/07 cell phone use must be "hands free" while driving.

> Ticket is $285. They will be looking for this like crazy - easy money for

> police department.

I live in Southern CA. I did traffic school a couple months ago for my first
ticket in 10 years and one of the things the really hammer people about is
what it *really* costs to get a DUI these days here. When you figure the
basic charge penalty, all the fines, court costs, alcohol education fees and
so on, it winds up costing an offender well over $10,000.00 *IF* you don't
even hire an outside attorney (which can jack up the cost another $5k -
$20k). Some people that actually have the balls to whine about Paris Hilton
getting jail time have no clue how much she's already violated the law and
been cut breaks.

Regarding the steep fines for cell phone usage - that's fucking great as far
as I'm concerned. Anyone who's driven SoCal freeways knows how many
clueless people babble on their phones and pay almost no attention to
actually driving in heavy traffic.

T.B.