[kj] GENESIS: Stop the Loops

Change crackedmachine at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jun 21 12:00:24 EDT 2007

Here is an excerpt from a recent interview with
Genesis P-Orridge of Throbbing Gristle, Psychic TV /
PTV3 and Thee Majesty. A drastically edited version of
the interview willappear in the next issue of Flux
magzine and the full conversation will appear in the
July issue of Perfect Sound Forver webzine.

B. Hell: Do you ever get that with people, when you
meet someone for the first time you feel as though you
already know them?

Genesis: Oh yes, that's the way it is with Lady Jaye.
We've been together since the first day we met,
thirteen years ago. Definitely! Its nice when that
happens isn't it?
A lot of people I collaborate with are like that too.
Brion Gysin was like that - a mixture of a mentor and
a familiar friend. Those are always the most powerful
relationships I think. Those are the ones that change
you. Do you think there's reincarnation? Or what do
you think it is when that happens?

B. Hell: I think reincarnation is quite likely but I
can't say for sure. When you meet someone and it feels
as though you already know each other its usually a
sign you're heading in the right direction I suppose.

Genesis: Its difficult isn't it? There are so many
things that suggest its possible. I was just reading a
book about the nature of time and the fact that we try
to measure it. Physics is beginning to realise with
quantum mechanics that we've been trying to measure
things that are immeasurable because everything
permeates everything else, in which case we would
recognise previous loops. I think of existance as
loops. The idea of reincarnation suggests we get born
into a human body and then carry on learning. I don't
think its quite like that - sequences of loops. The
trick is to break the loops until there aren't any
left!

B. Hell: That's a very Throbbing Gristle way of
thinking. Its almost as if you are describing the
music of Throbbing Gristle.

Genesis: Oh yeah! I think the nature of art is to try
to explain how you perceive things so it would make
sense that that would happen. But I think the looping
has become something I'm feeling stronger than ever
rather than it just being absorbed into the way we
work. We do that with PTV too, very much - a lot of
the songs begin with loops or phrases repeated until
something suddenly breaks through. The longer I live,
the more I'm convinced that its the equivalent of of a
series of videos I've been watching that keep on
repeating themselves and its very frustrating. I'm
trying to figure out how to stop the loops.

INTERZONE
http://www.augustineleudar.110mb.com/Interzone.htm

RTX, Kristin Hersh, Githead, Shellac, Michael Gira & the Dirty Three interviewed here:
http://www.perfectsoundforever.com

Polysics interviewed here:
http://www.cultcargo.net