[kj] ot: good news!

B. Oliver Sheppard bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jun 18 19:44:53 EDT 2007

I have no idea how free speech even enters into this. As far as I know,
no one said the guy should be banned or gagged. If he didn't give a shit
about what anyone thought about him, he shouldn't have a problem with me
or anyone else thinking he's a vile racist fuck. You said we're entitled
to an opinion -- that's mine. The free speech thing is an entirely
separate issue; have no idea where it came from here. If speech is free,
I'm free to rant and rave and harp about how the guy was backwards,
reactionary bigot, right?

"Live and let live," "free speech," -- lots of nice liberal, hippy-ish
values are suddenly conjured up to defend a guy who earned his coin
denigrating immigrants, blacks, gays, etc. with all his usual
Archie-Bunker-meets-Jabba-the-Hut subtlety. Free speech means the guy
can be as hateful as he wants, but it also means we can trash talk him
any time we like, including right when he's on his death bed. When
Reagan died I wasn't cowed into suddenly getting all warm and fuzzy over
him. Not gonna happen here, either.

-Oliver