[kj] Beyond

Darth E. Vader crackedmachine at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jun 11 11:25:24 EDT 2007

Yeah Sugar were loud but not as loud as Dinosaur Jr in
the first Lou Era.

BTW Lou and Murph are in Dinosaur Jr right now and the
new album BEYOND is excellent!

--- CEPLASTER at aol.com wrote:

> As far as loud shows go, I used to do live sound

> for bands around the

> Boston area, which allowed me to check out lots of

> shows over and above the ones I

> would go to see as a fan. A bunch of the bands I

> worked for did support

> for some of the bands in question here. Saw Sugar

> a bunch of times and they

> were loud as hell, no doubt. I think I may have

> been at the WUST show

> someone was talking about. Saw Dino Jr. at the old

> Ritz in NYC when Murph and

> Lou were still in the band, which was easily one of

> the most painfully loud

> shows I ever experienced. During the show,

> watching the band from the dressing

> room that was directly over the stage, even with

> all the doors shut and

> earplugs in, it was like having a spike being

> driven into your head. Never saw

> MBV, but their reputation for loud was well

> established.

> Now, if you want to talk about the absolute

> loudest one I can

> remember, their was a Swans show I saw at the Rat

> in Boston, it was '86 I think, and

> at that point the Rat had a really nice beefy

> system in there. When you

> walked into the club that day, the first thing you

> noticed was that there was

> extra p.a. there, as the band had brought in extra

> subs for the show. At that

> point there were two drummers in the band "Holy

> Money" period I think,

> Westberg had a mountain of guitar cabs, and the

> bass player had two huge cabinets

> stacked on top of each other.

> When they were playing, there was a physical

> component to the sound,

> where you really felt like you were being physicly

> assaulted. Not so much in

> the ears, but in the GUT. It was really

> remarkable. At that point they

> were using CBGB's sound people for their touring

> sound, who at the time were all

> quite good. At the Boston show I think Steve

> McAllister was doing the sound

> (later went on to do some studio production,

> COC among others. In addition to being one of the

> loudest shows I ever saw,

> it was also one of the best sounding gigs I have

> seen before of since. It

> was SO loud, but at the same time it was so clean

> and clear,

> truly a remarkable job that he did.

> - Carl P. Boston

Cracked Machine irregular cyberzine
http://www.webinfo.co.uk/crackedmachine

An Evening of Fun in the Metropolis of Your Dream
http://www.augustineleudar.110mb.com/Interzone.htm

Look at grafitti scrawled on the wall:
Dubya can't catch family friend Bin Liner...
But what the HELL?
They talk to God!