[kj] OT: Loud Shows

CEPLASTER at aol.com CEPLASTER at aol.com
Mon Jun 11 09:15:30 EDT 2007

As far as loud shows go, I used to do live sound for bands around the
Boston area, which allowed me to check out lots of shows over and above the ones I
would go to see as a fan. A bunch of the bands I worked for did support
for some of the bands in question here. Saw Sugar a bunch of times and they
were loud as hell, no doubt. I think I may have been at the WUST show
someone was talking about. Saw Dino Jr. at the old Ritz in NYC when Murph and
Lou were still in the band, which was easily one of the most painfully loud
shows I ever experienced. During the show, watching the band from the dressing
room that was directly over the stage, even with all the doors shut and
earplugs in, it was like having a spike being driven into your head. Never saw
MBV, but their reputation for loud was well established.
Now, if you want to talk about the absolute loudest one I can
remember, their was a Swans show I saw at the Rat in Boston, it was '86 I think, and
at that point the Rat had a really nice beefy system in there. When you
walked into the club that day, the first thing you noticed was that there was
extra p.a. there, as the band had brought in extra subs for the show. At that
point there were two drummers in the band "Holy Money" period I think,
Westberg had a mountain of guitar cabs, and the bass player had two huge cabinets
stacked on top of each other.
When they were playing, there was a physical component to the sound,
where you really felt like you were being physicly assaulted. Not so much in
the ears, but in the GUT. It was really remarkable. At that point they
were using CBGB's sound people for their touring sound, who at the time were all
quite good. At the Boston show I think Steve McAllister was doing the sound
(later went on to do some studio production,
COC among others. In addition to being one of the loudest shows I ever saw,
it was also one of the best sounding gigs I have seen before of since. It
was SO loud, but at the same time it was so clean and clear,
truly a remarkable job that he did. - Carl P. Boston