[kj] ChangeTin, change

B. Oliver Sheppard bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jul 26 18:39:36 EDT 2007

The troops made a choice to become troops, knowing what that entailed.
That they had no choice but to become troops isn't true. There are civil
organizations like AmeriCorps that provide college funds, etc., for
doing community service in domestic US neighborhoods. That is one
alternative to the army among many for those who say they just did it
for college or job training. (And if our society is so pathetic someone
must be militarized to get an education or a job, then something is
wrong there, too.)

The Nuremberg Principles, derived from the Nuremberg Trials, state that
soldiers have a duty to disobey orders they know to breach international
law, or the law in general. Many US soldiers have done that for the
current Iraq war and are protesting it. Those are the only troops I support.

-Oliver