[kj] OT: My News / New Zealand

bongo humanhybrid666 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 16:49:42 EDT 2007

yeah there is def a very strong metal scene here, not that i would
ever call TOOL metal! =)
one of my mates is right into death metal, and there are always shows,
and always new bands or old bands morphing into something new.. cant
say much about it coz i'm not sure, but it is active at least... (and
NAPALM DEATH are coming back here next month!)

the whole reggae dub thing i just cant stand.. big respect to all
those bands, (salmonella dub, rhombus, katchafire etc etc...) but i
never listen to them at home.. i asked one of the young grommets (kid
surfer) what kind of music they were all into, and he said straight
away, "new zealand roots!" so yeah, that scene is prob the biggest at
the moment..

i used to pride myself on knowing everything that was going on music
wise, but now there is just so much going on, and i am older and less
into it, that i cant keep track of it all... suffice to say, the nz
music scene is not stagnant..!

check out cheeseontoast.com and punkas.com for more...

~jb.

=)

On 7/27/07, Brendan <bq at soundgardener.co.nz> wrote:

> Hey Bongo would you agree that Kiwis are more into Rock and metal and

> reggae / dub than punk? Maybe that's just been cos of my blinkers, you're

> certainly more into the punk thing than me...although I'm getting more

> into it over time.

> But NZ is certainly a metal stronghold, Tool records and all that tend to

> sell better here than most places.

> > Thanks, yes it's been a great surprise.

> > And thanks for the links, Bongo. A bit punk for me, prefer things more

> > doomy - like Cult of Luna and Isis. But I'm gonna have a dig around and

> > see what I can find.

> > Cheers,

> > Janean

> > -----