[kj] FW: Re: who hates the simpsons.....

B. Oliver Sheppard bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jul 26 13:07:53 EDT 2007

The Simpsons is great social satire. It works on one level for kids, I
guess, but it skewers religion (Homer being told in a moment of crisis
that the Bible has all the answers he needs, flips through it, and
announces with disgust, 'Oh, this doesn't have any answers at all!'),
and so much of American culture so relentlessly that a lot of it
probably passes over most kids' heads -- but, hey, it's a cartoon, and
kids love cartoons by default, right? Just like adults dismiss them by
default, generally.

Recent episodes dealt with offshoring jobs to India, another with the
Patriot Act, Burns buying up all the media operations in Springfield,
the bad US healthcare system (Homer, Apu, Grandpa running in drugs from
Canada, when Apu is arrested for being a suspected terrorist trying to
cross the border) -- they deal with a lot of serious issues but it's
done in such an absurdist way. I like the show -- a lot.

-Oliver