[kj] OT: green vinyl for mr. sheppard

Per G Olsson Per.G.Olsson at Miljonmysteriet.com
Tue Jul 24 17:20:03 EDT 2007

Sigh:
(thins brings me out of my normal "lurking" mode)

1) Greenpeace can NOT outlaw anything, they are not a legislating
body - they are, however allowed to try to influence goverments to do
so.
2) I'ts not Vinyl (or PVC) that is the issue, it is Dioxins (which
previously has been used in the manufacture of PVC and sometimes can
be produced if PVC is incinerated under suboptimal conditions, albeit
in minute ammounts)
3) This small document : http://www.vinylindesign.com/docs/
600/508.pdf may give you a better picture of the whole thing...

I personally would like to see dioxin levels reduced as close to zero
as possible, but that does not mean that Vinyl records can't be
produced - dioxins are NOT essential for the PRODUCTION of PVC.

I also like the old 12" (and 10") -format, mainly because it ment
that you got "proper" artwork... Carefully removing a vinyl disc
from it's wrapping and putting it on the turntable is akin to a
Japanese tea-ceremony (even if it means that you're four seconds from
hearing "Requiem 12" Mix" pouring out of the speakers). But, there
are pitfallts with the "old format". Apart from the fact that the
vinyl IS generating much more background noise, one caviat I found is
that if the hole in the disc isn't EXACTLY in the middle, it doesn't
mater how litlle your turntable "wobbles" (if that is the right term
- English is not my mother's tounge) the error of the disc is larger!

(back into the shadows)

/Per G O