[kj] OT: Cormac McCarthy, after the Global Holocaust

B. Oliver Sheppard bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jul 24 08:13:13 EDT 2007

I don't know how many of you have heard of the American writer Cormac
McCarthy, whose recent novel, The Road, won the Pulitzer Prize in April,
2007.

Anyway, I thought the book might be of some interest to Killing Joke
fans because it's excellently written and takes place in a
post-apocalyptic, post-nuclear holocaust planet earth, bringing to mind
the stuff Jaz Coleman used to talk about in the 80s and I guess still
does in all his stuff about armageddon. It seems like the sort of book
Jaz would like to read, in other words. In The Road, the earth is in a
state of perpetual nuclear winter and gangs of gasmask-wearing,
marauding cannibals stalk the weak, who are often dying of radiation
sickness and/or starvation.

I wrote a review & description of the book here:

http://www.cultpunk.com/?p=173

-Oliver