[kj] back to oil!!!

B. Oliver Sheppard bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jul 21 08:20:32 EDT 2007

Yup, Greg, you're basically right.

Anyone who doesn't think that control of the world's major energy
reserves isn't a major level on global power, has invented an alternate
fantasy realm of the likes of Middle Earth. I hope they're happy they're
living in that place.

You can always buy gas from 7-11. Controlling the gas is a different story.

Oil isn't the whole picture, but there is a reason the Middle east is
always in the news disproportionate to its regional size. It's home to
most of the world's energy reserves. That is always an underlying factor
in what goes on there. If those reserves existed in Central Australia,
or Greenland, you can be those regions would suddenly be a huge concern
to diplomacy, the media, etc., etc.

"Every ten years or so, the United States needs to pick up some small
crappy little country and throw it against the wall, just to show the
world we mean business." - Michael Ledeen, holder of the Freedom Chair
at the American Enterprise Institute (quote at:
http://www.nationalreview.com/goldberg/goldberg042302.asp)

This was especially needed after 9/11, but countries that have WMDs are
too formidable. Yet, America needed to flex its muscle to remind folks
whose boss. In any event, even sections of elite think the war is
disastrous, and no longer support it.

-Oliver