[kj] Gatherer's bands

Frank Coleman fbc at 21ca.com
Wed Jul 18 20:17:31 EDT 2007

Cool. Thanks for this thread.

I've been playing drums for over 35 years and it is my true passion in
life. I have two vintage Slingerland acoustic kits plus a set of Roland
V Drums and have also written my own software to trigger and control
images and videos from the pads.

Demo:
http://www.21ca.com/2007/vdrums.html

I also play the full array of percussion instruments, as well as
keyboards, soundscapes, samples, loops, etc. I sing, too. I've played
with everything from symphony orchestras to live DJs to punk bands and
everything in between.

I'm happy playing any style, but I prefer a spectrum that runs from
experimental/dub/trance-ambient/trip hop to rock/industrial/punk/pop.
Stylistically, I definitely prefer drummers who play for the song,
rather than showboat and try to cram in a million riffs. Martyn Atkins,
Rob Hirst, DJ Bonebrake, Pete DeFreitas, Robert Gotobed.

I'm in four bands at the moment. Three in New York City, one in Boston.

A. 777s (pronounced "Triple Sevens"): power trio consisting of two hot
chicks and me. Kinda like The Ramones with a sex change.

B. The F-Units: classic four piece lower East Side rock 'n' roll band.
Two guitars, bass, drums. Sort of like early Green Day, Social
Distortion with occasional nods to AC/DC.

C. Direct From Hollywood Cemetery: Horror-rock septet (2 guitars, bass,
drums, farfisa organ, male and female lead singers). Imagine The Cramps
on speed. Everyone is in costume and makeup. We have a hypno-wheel and
the male singer saws his way out of a coffin. My persona is "The
Vegetable" -- kind of like the lobotomy victim in One Flew Over The
Cuckoo's Nest. It's a blast.

D. The Bentmen: I'm one of two drummers in this band (though for our
20th anniversary gig last year, we had *six* drummers), a Boston-based
performance art rock band with 5 albums out and a movie score (MARK OF
THE ASTRO-ZOMBIES, I edited the soundtrack). My first gig with The
Bentmen was on 10 days notice in front of 40,000 people. (!) We're
doing a movie of our rock opera, ULCER GULCH and I'm directing.

I've been doing a lot of session work lately. My brother runs The
Cutting Room studios in NYC. When a band gives me their mp3s, I
generally chart 'em up and get well rehearsed beforehand and then just
cut the tracks by myself to a click. For me, it's just easier to sing
the songs in my head and follow the chart. Much faster -- less
distraction. I did 15 songs in 2.5 hours for the 777s and 10 songs in
90 minutes for DFHC.

And my #1 favorite band is Killing Joke. I hope to someday play drums
for them, or at least for Jaz on one of his other projects. He and I
have discussed it on several occasions, so maybe it'll happen. Hope
springs eternal. We are both Colemans after all (probably cousins of
one sort or another) and have many parallels in our respective lives.
Oh, and of course, I know every song cold. ;)

Anyway, that's my rant. Peace and respect to all...

best,
FBC

F R A N K . C O L E M A N
Design . Development . Direction
Interactive . Online . TV . Video . Audio . Print
Portfolio . 21st Century Art . http://www.21ca.com

MySpace . Frankie7 . http://www.myspace.com/frankie7

Drummer . Bentmen . http://www.myspace.com/bentmen
Drummer . 777s . http://www.myspace.com/triplesevens