[kj] Ruts/Paul Fox benefit gig last night

pssyche23 antoni at clara.net
Tue Jul 17 15:11:10 EDT 2007

If it's any consolation Paul (and I know it isn't much when missing out) it appears that a DVD will be coming out, hopefully of the entire evening (I wish I had got more than just the 2 tickets this time, especially at only £10 a shot) - John Robb compered, the single version of Wardance was played over the sound system, everyone played short but fine and dandy sets (it was the only way to fit it all in with a 7pm doors open) ... John Otway, TV Smith and Eddie Tudor Pole with a house band consisting of Rowland Rivron on drums, Tony Barber (Buzzcocks) on bass and a few Blockheads. Splodgenessabounds probably went on a couple of sings too long but Charlie Harper & the UK Subs were great : CID, Stranglehold, Tomorrow Girls (dedicated to Kelly), Warhead, Emotional Blackmail, Teenage, Party In Paris, all ya faves ! Next up were Misty In Roots - they only did 3 longish songs but they went down a storm. The Damned were great too & the (real) Captain was rather restrained at this emotional time : Love Song, Second Time Around, Elouise, Neat Neat Neat, New Rose and Smash It Up from what I recall. After a pop to the gents and a refill at the bar, we surged to the front in anticipation, having forgot that Tom Robinson hadn't even been on stage yet - he did a couple of songs (I think) then it was The Ruts with a humble though focussed Rollins relishing his part in the proceedings - Something That I Said, Staring At The Rude Boys, Babylon's Burning, West One (Shine On Me), SUS, It Was Cold, Jah War, Society, In A Rut ... from what I recall ... Paul Fox looked overwhelmed and also rather frail ... Rollins signed off with "I hope we ALL see you again" ... with bows from Ruffy, Segs and Foxy ... the expectant cries of "more, more, more" were not realised as Robb explained that Paul was exhausted - he really had put his all into it - we quietly dispersed off into the night ... I'd expect details of the DVD release to appear here : http://www.myspace.com/peafish but either way I'll an update when I hear of it ... Regards, Antoni