[kj] Vinyl

Brendan bq at soundgardener.co.nz
Thu Jul 12 16:50:08 EDT 2007

I find CDs quite annoying, they are so flimsy and easy to damage. And it's
so hard to find a CD case that actually works, you usually have to bend
and scratch the bloody things to get them out of their cases...I
immediately archive my CDs and only play from copies I've made...which
tend to last even shorter...

Suppose life's not too bad if that's all I have to bitch about at the
moment though :)

But downloading has its own issues, for example mp3 is a lossy format,
meaning it doesn't have the full sound data available...hence a 5 MB mp3
is more like 50+ MB on CD. There are some non lossy formats but they
aren't that popular yet are they...? Archiving all of my mp3s took a
bloody age, at the time I was looking for a better, non lossy format, I
think they are there but decided on high quality mp3s because that's the
dominant format. I don't have good enough speakers to notice much
difference...

I Tried iTunes for a while too but ditched it, I spent long enough
changing the file names of all my music as per below:

Artist - Year - Album - Track No - Title.mp3

Took me bloody weeks, then iTunes by default wanted to replicate my entire
collection! Easy enough to turn that setting off, but once you've invested
so much time changing the file names you feel stupidly compelled to
protect your investment :)