[kj] some news

B. Oliver Sheppard bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jul 9 23:45:03 EDT 2007

I tried to find an article about the eco-fascists at Greenpeace ruining
all your fun, but all I could find was stuff about Greenpeace
encouraging people to not use disposable PVC ("vinyl") products and
pushing for factories that do manufacture vinyl/PVC to have tougher
emission standards. I didn't see anything about banning record albums,
or much less that "Greenpeace have pretty much got the production of
records outlawed" like you said. I think maybe they were too busy trying
to make sure Bernard Manning was also ruined for you, to do that.

Until not too long ago, the US govt. (Library of Congress) preferred
vinyl as a means to archive audio precisely because it isn't
biodegradable. Stuff is usually put on vinyl to document or archive it
permanently, not to deteriorate, like acid free paper in books. Few want
a biodegradable book collections. That's different than a disposable
camera or plastic water bottle, etc., which should be degradable, since
once it's used, it's tossed. There's nothing evil about wanting
factories that produce vinyl to severely decrease toxic emissions.

-Oliver